Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



A Hero Returns

Wed, 21/02/2024 - 18:21

Glentoran were delighted to welcome Terry Conroy back to the Bet McLean Oval last weekend for our home game against Newry City.

Terry was accompanied by Robert Banks (son of England's 1966 World Cup winning goalkeeper, Gordon), Andrew Edwards (sculptor of the excellent Pat Jennings statue - recently unveiled in Newry) and Steve Smith.

Terry Conroy joined Glentoran in 1965 and was in the Glentoran Seconds team that defeated Larne 1-nil in the final of the Steel & Sons Cup. He made his senior debut on 28th December 1965. Glentoran won 3-2 away to Ards that day and Conroy was on the scoresheet. All-time record goal scorer, Trevor Thompson also scored in that game - his 300th for the club.

59 first team appearances and 33 goals were Terry's contribution to the Glens between 1965 and his transfer to Stoke City in 1967. Terry Conroy netted a hattrick against Distillery at Grosvenor Park on Christmas Eve 1966 and his final Glentoran goal came in February 1967 in a 2-nil win at the Coleraine Showgrounds. He won a League Championship in that second season but for the majority of Glentoran fans, Terry Conroy will forever be remembered for scoring both goals as Glentoran defeated Linfield 2-nil at the Oval on 23rd April 1966.

Terry Conroy spent the majority of his professional career at Stoke City and netted the club's first goal in the 1972 League Cup final at Wembley (you can watch it HERE with the goal being 6min 25secs in). It was the first major trophy win in the club's history. 

He played against Glentoran (Detroit Cougars) for Stoke City (Cleveland Stokers) during the summer of 67 and was also capped 27 times for the Republic of Ireland.

It's over 50 years since Terry's last visit but thanks to Philip Stevenson's perserverence, he touched down back in Belfast on Friday last. Terry Conroy was shown around the Oval and thanks to the IFA, was reunited with the Irish Cup he won in 1966. It was an emotional moment. 

Terry also met up with old team mates, Billy McKeag and Jim Weatherup. There was also an opportunity to have a photograph taken with Karen and Alan Neill - their late father Billy was manager of that 1966 cup winning side.

Just before kick off, Terry Conroy walked back onto the Oval turf once again and he received a tremendous ovation as he turned and raised the Irish Cup towards the Main Stand.

It was great to have you visit Terry and hopefully it won't be too long before we welcome you back for another game.