Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glentoran 2-1 Institute

Sat, 22/11/2014 - 18:43

Glentoran’s 2-1 victory against Institute at the Oval saw them climb to 6th in the Danske Bank Premiership table. Jay Magee gave the Glens the lead in the first half before Steven Gordon, with his first goal for the club, made it 2-nil. Robbie Hume pulled a goal back for the visitors in the final minute.

It was the visitors who started brightest and with just 2 minutes on the clock they should have gone in front. A slip by Calum Birney near the by-line allowed a cross to the back post where an unmarked Matty Young was waiting. His superbly struck volley was well saved by Glentoran skipper, Elliott Morris. On 4 minutes Paul McVeigh had a half chance but his shot was well wide. 2 minutes later ‘Stute went close again. A well worked corner routine resulted in Ben Doherty having a chance from the edge of the area. The Institute number 26 was unlucky though, his sweetly struck shot coming back off the crossbar. Just before the quarter hour mark the Glens got their first real opportunity. Jordan Stewart did well to rob an Institute defender and his through ball put Curtis Allen clear. Unfortunately Allen sliced his effort and the ball went well wide of the target. Niall Henderson then did well down the right. His cross was cleared to the edge of the box but Stephen McAlorum couldn’t keep his shot down. Marcus Kane went close with a 20 yard right footed effort before the deadlock was finally broken. Some ‘Keystone Cops’ defending from ‘Stute resulted in Glentoran gaining a corner. Niall Henderson swung the ball into the danger area and Jay Magee met it; the ball coming off his head and then his left knee before crossing the line. That goal seemed to dent the visitors’ confidence and after Allen went close with a curling shot on 26 minutes, Niall Henderson had a goal ruled out for offside. On 32 minutes Stewart created a chance for David Scullion but his attempt to lift the ball over the keeper was unsuccessful. 10 minutes from the break Institute came forward and Declan McKeever had his shot on goal deflected away for a corner. From that set piece though, it was Glentoran who nearly scored again. David Scullion’s excellent cross seemed destined to find Curtis Allen but a faint deflection sent the ball away for a corner when Allen looked certain to double Glentoran’s advantage. In the dying minutes of the first half there were further chances for Stewart and Scullion but the ‘Stute defence stood firm.


Glentoran started the second period brightly fashioning early chances for both Scullion and Kym Nelson. Robbie Hume had a chance as Institute broke forward on 48 minutes but he failed to hit the target. 9 minutes into the second half Jordan Stewart rounded Martin Gallagher but he was forced wide and the chance was gone. A minute later Stewart was played in by Fra McCaffrey but he drove his shot wide of the post. On 56 minutes Scullion again created a chance for Stewart. He connected perfectly with his volley from the edge of the area but Gallagher saved well. On 68 minutes a foul on Stephen McAlorum gave the Glens a free kick 25 yards from goal. Curtis Allen took it but Gallagher, diving low to his right, kept the ball out. 15 minutes from time Institute could have drawn level. Mark Forker had a chance but couldn’t keep his effort down. Substitute Johnny Addis then presented Robbie Hume with an golden opportunity to make it 1-all but Elliott Morris did brilliantly to save with his feet. ‘Stute centre back Mark Scoltock then had two opportunities in the Glentoran area. He headed just over from a corner on 78 minutes and then was off target again when he got on the end of a free kick that was played into the box. With just 6 minutes remaining Glentoran went further in front. Allen did really well on the left and his ball across the 6-yard box was turned in by Steven Gordon. Danny McKee, on for David Scullion, then set up Curtis Allen but his stinging shot was well saved by Martin Gallagher. With a minute remaining Institute got a goal back. Robbie Hume did well on the right side of the area, creating space for himself before firing low into the far corner. In stoppage time Glentoran missed a great chance to score a third. A quick throw out from Elliott Morris put Danny McKee away. Glentoran outnumbered the ‘Stute defence but McKee’s pass was too heavy and ran through to the keeper.

Highlights and managers reaction on BBC Sport NI HERE

Extended highlights and interviews with both Eddie Patterson and Elliott Morris on Glens TV HERE

Photographs by Thomas Sewell.

Glentoran: Morris (capt), Henderson, Kane, Birney, Magee, McAlorum, Nelson, Scullion, McCaffrey, Stewart & Allen.

Subs: Gordon for Nelson (50), Addis for Kane (61) and McKee for Scullion (79).

Little Lily's Bistro Glentoran 'Man of the Match' - Elliott Morris