Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glentoran 1-0 PSNI

Wed, 02/09/2015 - 00:55

The Glens booked their place in the third round of the JBE League Cup courtesy of a 6th minute goal from Curtis Allen.

Eddie Patterson made two changes to his starting line up with Kristian Gibson coming into the side in place of Stephen McAlorum and Jay Magee replacing Calum Birney. Marcus Kane took over the captain's armband from McAlorum.

The game as a whole was dominated by Glentoran and only in the last 15 minutes, following Jay Magee's red card, did PSNI offer any threat. Kym Nelson fired wide from the edge of the area as early as the 3rd minute and then Curtis Allen headed wide from Marcus Kane's cross. On 6 minutes though that same combination brought a goal. Kane fired the ball across from the left and Allen's downward header was initially well saved by David Harrison. He couldn't hold on to the ball however and Allen drove home the rebound. 5 minutes later it was almost 2-nil when Marcus Kane met a corner from David Scullion. Kane's header though went straight at the keeper. On 26 minutes Allen was off target with a header following a cross from Kym Nelson. PSNI were awarded a free kick on the left flank on 26 minutes. Mark Anderson's dangerous cross was well cut out by Jonny Addis. Addis was in action again 2 minutes later turning another effort behind for a corner.

On 32 minutes a superb cross from the right from full back Barry Holland just eluded Steven Gordon attempted diving header. 3 minutes from the interval Glentoran spurned another opportunity to increase their lead when a curling cross from Kane was met by Scullion at the back post. Unfortunately his header went straight into the arms of Harrison. A minute late a sublime long ball from Kristian Gibson picked out Barry Holland on the right wing. Holland's first time cross into the danger area almost picked out Conor McMenamin.

Conor McMenamin did not appear for the second half due to illness and he was replaced by Johnny Smith who scored a hattrick for the Seconds last weekend. On 51 minutes Steven Gordon was felled on the edge of the area. Curtis Allen took the free kick but his ball, driven across goal, was cleared. Just before the hour mark a long throw in from Addis was flicked on by Kane. Scullion arrived at the back post but just failed to connect with the ball. On 63 minutes Allen had another attempt on goal but this time his shot from the edge of the area lacked power and was easily held by the PSNI keeper. Midway through the half a dangerous break down the right saw Joe McWilliams put in a delightful cross. Owen Moody met it on the volley but the ball flashed past the far post. On 73 minutes referee Gregg awarded PSNI a free kick inside the Glentoran penalty area, adjudging that Jay Magee's ball back to Aaron Hogg was a back pass. Former Glentoran midfielder, Ryan Berry, took the free kick but the defensive wall stood firm and the ball was then hacked clear.

In the immediate aftermath Moody went down in the penalty area. The assistant referee signalled for an infringement and following consultation between the officials Jay Magee was shown a straight red card. 13 minutes from time a 25 yard effort by Mark Anderson flew just over the Glentoran crossbar. 81 minutes and Glentoran should possibly have been awarded a penalty. Curtis Allen looked to be brought down inside the area but the referee gave the free kick right on the edge. Allen took it and forced Harrison into a fine save. 2 minutes later Johnny Smith's 25 yard drive flashed just past the angle of post and crossbar. Smith was put in again towards the end but his shot was deflected and Harrison was able to gather the ball comfortably. 

Photographs by Thomas Sewell.

Match highlights on Glens TV

Glentoran: Hogg, Holland, Kane (capt), Magee, Addis, Gordon, Nelson, Gibson, Scullion, McMenamin & Allen

Subs: Smith for McMenamin (46), Howland for Nelson (60) and McCaffrey for Gordon (69).