Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glentoran 0-1 Derry City

Tue, 23/02/2016 - 23:12

A goal in the 43rd minute from Barry McNamee decided tonight's friendly fixture at the Oval.

Glentoran manager, Alan Kernaghan, rang the changes for the game with 3 trialists in the starting line up; Stephen Rice, Ola Olajubu and Neil Donaghy. He also gave starts to a number of players who have not featured in recent matches.

The game started slowly in front of a sparse crowd and there were 10 minutes on the clock before we had the first effort on goal, David Scullion shooting over from the edge of the box. Nine minutes later Stephen Rice brought a fine stop out of Gerard Doherty in the visitors' goal but the game was pulled back as the official on the far side adjudged Rice to be in an offside position. Derry City's first real attempt on goal came on 21 minutes with a free kick whipped into the Glentoran penalty area. Aaron Barry got his head to the ball but couldn't direct it on target. Midway through the first half Rory Patterson had the ball in the net for Derry City but he had already been flagged offside.

On 27 minutes Glentoran had a lucky escape when Barry McNamee found himself free in the penalty area, however Elliott Morris did really well to block with his feet and the danger was gone. Ten minutes later McNamee had another chance but his 20 yard effort was well off target. A minute after that saw the Glens almost take the lead. Danny McKee got to the bye line but his driven cross-shot was turned wide for a corner by Ryan McBride. Two minutes from the interval Derry City went in front. They broke down the left and when the ball was fired across goal the home defence failed to clear it and Barry McNamee netted from close range.

Alan Kernaghan made four changes for the second half and almost immediately Glentoran nearly levelled but Steven Gordon's 20 yard shot was just too high. On 49 minutes a superb cross from McCullough was met by Gordon but his header deflected off a defender and went out for a corner. Three minutes later the dangerous Rory Patterson almost made it 2-nil but his shot came back off the post. The same player again went close on 74 minutes with a glancing header which went wide of the far upright. Eight minutes from time an excellent through ball from Ciaran Caldwell seemed to have set up a great chance for Steven Gordon to equalise. The Glentoran player seemed to be held back in the area but the referee waved away the penalty appeals. On 85 minutes the leveller the Glens deserved almost arrived. A cross from the left was headed out to David Sculliion. His goal bound shot was deflected just wide of the goal and moments later the referee blew the final whistle.

Glentoran: Morris, Gordon, Kane (capt), Gibson, Magee, Olajubu, Donaghy, Rice, McMenamin, Scullion & McKee.

Subs: Hogg for Morris (46), Morrow for Olajubu (46), Addis for Magee (46), McCullough for Donaghy (46), Caldwell for Rice (60), Smith for McKee (60) and Patton for McMenamin (60).