Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Carrick Rangers 0-2 Glentoran

Fri, 29/10/2021 - 23:54

There were a couple of positional changes for Glentoran for this fixture with Luke McCullough going into midfield alongside Hrvoje Plum and Seanan Clucas with Caolan Marron playing in the centre of defence alongside Paddy McClean. 

Glentoran had the first opportunity of the game with just 2 minutes on the clock, Rory Donnelly clipping a ball over the top for brother Jay to run on to. Jay was forced slightly wide but still manage to get a decent shot away, the ball going just wide of the far post. On 14 minutes Glens' keeper, Ross Glendinning had to receive lengthy treeatment after being hit loate by Kyle Cherry. Glendinning had comfortably taken the left wing cross and there appeared no reason for Cherry to make any challenge and he was fortunate not to receive any punishment from referee McNabb.

Midway through the half the home side were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal following a foul by Hrvoje Plum. Cherry took the set piece but was unable to beat Glendinning, the Glentoran custodian tipping the dipping shot over the crossbar. Despite not creating many scoring opportunities to this point the Glens went on front on the half hour mark. Caolan Marron collected the ball from Paddy McClean and played a long ball forward to Conor McMenamin on the right wing. McMenamin, having brought the ball under control, went past Ben Tilney before crossing from the corner of the 18-yard box. It was a great ball, right into the danger area and Jay Donnelly was there to head it past Neil Shields and into the bottom corner of the net. 

It was Jay Donnelly's 10th goal of the season, his 5th in consecutive matches and the 4th game in a row he's scored in the Danske Bank Premiership. 

A minute after going in front the Glens almost conceded! Alexander Gawne completely fluffed his shot when well placed and then Dan Kelly had an effort from 25-yards which was well held by Ross Glendinning. On 36 minutes Jay Donnelly did well to find Hrvoj Plum. The Croatian's excellent through ball set Conor McMenamin clear but he was denied by a last ditch tackle. Luke McCullough then intercepted the ball in midfield and his quick release set Jay Donnelly clear but once again excellent defending from the home side denied Jay and the Glens a second goal. Right on halftime Glentoran really should have doubled their advantage. Played in by Seanan Clucas, Conor McMenamin dragged his shot wide of the far post with Shields beaten.

Halftime: Carrick Rangers 0-1 Glentoran

Although Carrick Rangers came close early in the second period, Jordan Gibson's shot hitting the outside of the post, Glentoran were on top for the majority of the second half. Rhys Marshall put a superb cross into the Carrick Rangers penalty area on 55 minutes. Jay Donnelly met it but unfortunately his header was straight at keeper Shields. On 59 minutes the ball fell to Conor McMenamin following a Glentoran corner. His shot was deflected behind as was Paddy McClean's header from the resulting corner. It was third time lucky for the Glens though from the next one. Hrvoje Plum played this one short to McMenamin. The Glentoran number 24 then unleashed an unstoppable shot from near the right corner of the 18-yard box, the ball flying past Neil Shields who had absolutely no chance!

Rhys Marshall was then on the receiving end from a very late challenge from Dan Kelly which saw the former Glentoran player rightly cautioned. A great break by Jay Donnelly set up a chance for Rory but having taken the ball to the by line he had to settle for a corner. Rory Donnelly then had another chance when he went past Ben Tilney before firing a 25-yard effort on goal which Shields did well to turn around the post. The Carrick keeper then saved well from Conor McMenamin on a couple of occasions but surprisingly the home side's 'Man of the Match' award didn't come his way, instead being awarded to Jim Ervin! 

Glentoran made a few changes and as we headed into the closing stages Carrick Rangers tried to pull a goal back and perhaps set up a nervy finale. On 84 minutes a cross from the left was met by Stweart Nixon but his header was straight at Glendinning. A dangerous ball into the area was well defended by Paddy McClean and from the resulting corner, Dan Kelly fired wide. With 2 minutes remaining, Mal Smith did brilliantly to find Conor McMenamin on the left. His cross to Robbie McDaid looked to have brought the Glens a third before Robbie's effort was hacked off the goal line. After a mix up at the back, Ben Tilney had a chance to get one back for the home side in the final minute but blazed high and wide.

Next up fot the Glens is a trip to Larne on Tuesday evening.

Photographs by PACEMAKER

Glentoran: Glendinning, Marshall, Burns, Marron, McClean (c), McCullough, Plum (Smith 76), Clucas, R. Donnelly (McDaid 76), J. Donnelly (Mitchell 82) & McMenamin (Cushnie 90+3)