Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glentoran 3-1 Carrick Rangers

Sat, 12/10/2019 - 20:58

Glentoran ended their recent losing streak with a 3-1 victory over Carrick Rangers at the Oval this afternoon. It was a much changed team from the one which lost narrowly to Coleraine on Tuesday evening and it was great to welcome Gavin Peers back into the heart of the defence alongside Patrick McClean who missed the midweek cup game due to injury. Navid Nasseri, scorer on his debut against the Bannsiders, made the starting XI today.

There was very little action in the first half. Former Glentoran keeper, Aaron Hogg, was forced to make a decent save from Robbie McDaid after the striker was set up by Hrvoije Plum on 10 minutes and then 5 minutes later Carrick's Caolan Loughran went close with a 25 yard free kick which hit the crossbar. 

The visitors went in front on 19 minutes. A long throw in from the right from Stewart Nixon found Guillaume Keke in the area and he turned and fired low into the corner giving Marijan Antolovic no chance. 3 minutes later the Glens should have been level but a mix up in the area between John Herron and Robbie McDaid saw both players fail to capitalize on the opportunity.

On 23 minutes though the sides were level. A move involving Gallagher, Nasseri and Plum ended with the Croatian midfielder sliding the ball through to Robbie McDaid and he fired home from 14 yards; Hogg getting a touch on the ball but unable to keep it out.

Half-time: Glentoran 1-0 Carrick Rangers.

Two goals early in the second half for Glentoran virtually killed the game off as a contest. John Herron played in McDaid who was fouled from behind by Dan Kelly on the 6-yard line. A penalty was awarded but strangely no card for the Rangers defender! Hrvoije Plum took the spot kick and his low drive to the keeper's right found the bottom corner.

On 52 minutes it was 3-1. A miskick from Carrick skipper Mark Surgenor saw Robbie McDaid race clear and he held of challenger from Surgenor and Kelly to slot the ball past Aaron Hogg. On 65 minutes McDaid might have grabbed his hattrick but shot into the side netting from a tight angle. On 78 minutes two Glentoran substitutes combined to force Hogg into another save, Jonny Frazer's cross from the right finding Antonio Duric who tested the big Carrick keeper.

Glentoran continued to look for a fourth goal with Frazer, McDaid and Duric all going close. Carrick Rangers had the occasional chance on the break, the closest coming in stoppage time with Cameron Stewart doing really well to block Lee Chapman's effort.

Full-time: Glentoran 3-1 Carrick Rangers

Photographs by Joe Burns (JB Photography)

Glentoran: Antolovic, Pepper, Kane (c), McClean, Peers (Stewart 56), Plum, Herron, Nasseri (Frazer 66), Gallagher, Van Overbeek (Duric 75) & McDaid.