Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glenavon 0-0 Glentoran

Tue, 05/03/2024 - 23:22

The dismal number of Glentoran supporters who made the trip to Lurgan this evening were not rewarded for their efforts as this one fizzled out to an equally dismal scoreless draw, depriving the Glens of the opportunity to extend their lead over Crusaders to four points in the race for fourth and home draws in the European playoffs.

It might have been different had David Fisher’s first minute headed goal been allowed to stand, but referee Stephen Gregg disallowed for offside. The first of three disallowed Glens goals in the 90 minutes. On this occasion the in-form striker was adamant that he was onside.

The Glens dominated the first half hour with only Fisher’s disallowed header and a long range shot from Fuad Sule two minutes later to show for it. In fact Aaron McCarey had to be alert on three occasions in a ten-minute spell late in the half to deny Glenavon the lead, while Charlie Lindsay shot over for the Glens just before the break.

Half Time: Glenavon 0-0 Glentoran

Warren Feeney made a substitution early in the half when Shay McCartan came on for his 100th appearance for the club, replacing Charlie Lindsay. After five minutes on the pitch, McCartan was unlucky to have a goal disallowed when he stroked home after great work from David Fisher. However the linesman flagged that the ball had gone out of play before the final pass from Junior to McCartan. Two minutes later we had another disallowed, this time more controversially, after a goalmouth melee. This time Junior  got the final touch but the same linesman flagged on the basis that Paddy McClean was off the pitch at the time he headed back for Junior. But McClean, as with David Fisher for his earlier effort, was in no doubt that he was on the field of play and that the goal should have stood.

The Glens had a good effort from Fisher well saved by Glenavon keeper Mark Byrne, while Junior shot over with eight minutes left. But ultimately it was Glenavon who could have won all three points with two minutes left but their forward Clarke blew the chance by shooting over.

So a very disappointing night in front of a poor crowd. We will definitely need to see a lift before Loughgall – who are two league positions ahead of Glenavon – visit the Bet McLean Oval on Saturday.

Full Time: Glenavon 0-0 Glentoran

Glentoran: McCarey, Singleton (c), Russell, McClean, Sule, Burns, Clucas , Lindsay (McCartan 52), O’Connor (McGinn 67), Junior (Feeney 83) & Fisher

Subs (Not used): Webber, Wightman, Murphy, Kelly.

Photography by PACEMAKER