Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Loughgall 0-2 Glentoran

Tue, 01/11/2022 - 23:37

Two second half goals in three minutes enabled Glentoran to see off a very competitive Loughgall side tonight in the Bet McLean Cup Quarter Final to extend our winning run to fourteen games in all competition.

In a much-changed team from Friday’s win over Larne, the Glentoran support had a very pleasant surprise in seeing Luke McCullough make his first appearance in twelve months, following his recovery from a cruciate injury.

The Glens dominated the first half hour with Danny Purkis, Bobby Burns and Aaron Wightman all going close and with Daniel Devine outstanding in the home goal. Ollie Webber was also called into action three times in a five-minute spell but handled the challenge confidently, including a confident take at the feet of Benjamin Magee.

Hrvoje Plum and Burns (again) went close with long range efforts before the half ended scoreless.

Half Time: Loughgall 0-0 Glentoran

Glentoran’s strength and fitness started to show after the break and the breakthrough finally came on 55 minutes. Devine saved a fine Ally Roy shot from a Wightman cross but Terry Devlin was on the spot to power the ball into the roof of the net and open his scoring account for the club.

Bobby Burns then made the game safe for Glentoran three minutes later when he showed great awareness to sniff a chance in the penalty area and he slotted the ball home from close range.

The Glens continued to create plenty of chances with Devine saving well from goalbound efforts from Ally Roy, Sean Murray, James Singleton and a wonder strike from sub Kirk McLaughlin. But the scoring was finished for the night.

We will now play Linfield in the semi-final. Details to be announced.

Full Time: Loughgall 0-2 Glentoran

Photographs by PACEMAKER

Glentoran: Webber, Wightman, McCullough (Murphy 89), Wilson (c), Singleton, Burns, Plum (Marshall 69), Devlin (McCartan 89) Murray, Purkis, Roy (McLaughlin 69).