Glentoran FC

The Official website of Glentoran Football Club / Pride of East Belfast 



Glentoran 0-2 Cliftonville

Sat, 15/05/2021 - 18:09

Glentoran disappointingly went down to two second half goals at the Oval this afternoon and although mathematically second place is still achievable, it looks very unlikely.

Andrew Mitchell and Conor McMenamin came in to the starting line up for this game with Seanan Clucas and Jamie McDonagh dropping to the bench. A 25-yard attempt from Daire O'Connor was comfortably dealt with by Rory Brown in the Glentoran goal. Then on 6 minutes a Glentoran corner set up a chance for Conor McMenamin who went close with a powerful shot. Rory Brown then denied Michael McCrudden and then just before the quarter hour mark a free kick from Dale Gorman found Paddy McClean at the back post. His header was on target but took a deflection off a defender making Aaron NMcCarey's save relatively straightforward.

Following a poor clearance out of defence by the home side, the Reds had an opportunity to break the deadlock but Kris Lowe's shot was deflected over the crossbar and onto the roof of the net. Rory Hale then shot wide on 25 minutes but in the run up to halftime Glentoran started to exert more pressure and probably should have went into the break in front. Andrew Mitchell headed down for Jay Donnelly but his shot from the edge of the area was easliy saved by McCarey. On 43 minutes a thunderbolt of a free kick from Dale Gorman from all of 35 yards out needed tipped over the bar by a relieved McCarey. Moments later Gorman had another effort on goal but this time his shot curled wide of the post. In the final minute of the half excellent link up play from the Donnelly brothers and Rhys Marshall created a good chance for Coor McMenamin but his goalbound effort was deflected behind. From the corner Rory Donnelly met it but unlike a week ago, when an identical set piece resulted in a goal, his header was cleared off the line on this occasion.

Halftime: Glentoran 0-0 Cliftonville

Cliftonville looked much sharper at the start of the second half and with Glentoran losing possession in their own half, there was a chance for Daire O'Connor but his 20-yard effort was just too high. On 50 minutes a poor Glentoran free kick allowed the Reds to break again and O'Connor set up Michael McCrudden for what should have been a tap in but he somehow put the ball wide of the post. Caolan Marron then did really well to block a chance for Rory Hale before a powerful run and superb cross from Conor McMenamin just evaded everyone in the 6-yard box.

The visitors took the lead on 62 minutes. As they broke forward the ball was cut inside to an unmarked Rory Hale. His shot from inside the 'D' hit the underside of the bar and was adjudjed to have crossed the line by the officials. Conor McMenamin might have levelled things up on 65 minutes after breaking clear but he fired over when well placed. Cliftonville killed off the game on 84 minutes with a second goal. Attacking down the left Donnelly and substitute Ryan Curran linked well before Curran picked out an unmarked Michael McCrudden around 12 yards out. He didn't squander this chance and tucked the ball calmly past Rory Brown.

Photographs by PACAMAKER

Glentoran: Brown, Marshall, McCullough, Marron, McClean (c), Bigirimana (McDonagh 82), Gorman, R. Donnelly, McMenamin, J. Donnelly & Mitchell (O'Connor 58)